Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Things I've Learned this Week

Ok, I need to redeem myself for yesterday's post. I hope that one goes down as my worst attempt at writing...ever. Seriously, if anyone is able to come away with a point to that one let me know. So I thought I would share some good stuff I have learned thus far this week.
  1. I had a chance to watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution earlier this week. I think this is a very important show. I wrote about it briefly here before it originally aired. Jamie Oliver is a British chef would travelled to Huntington, West Virginia to open a small kitchen and help the town to eat better. Huntington is considered the absolute unhealthiest city in the country (on the planet?) People are dying decades too early because of their horrible eating habits. Now, I know it's a television show and it's edited for entertainment but it is really frustrating watching people in the town pushing back against some of the changes that are being suggested. Anyway, do yourself a favor and check out the show here.
  2. I thought about that push back during a conversation I had this morning at my gym. I was there today simply to get my own workout in. I was in the middle of my warm-up when I noticed the guy next to me was doing some horrible leg rotation type exercise while lying on his back. All he's doing is mobilizing his low back, which will lead to injury. But, I try not to give random people advice unless I'm approached so I didn't mention anything, besides I was there for my own training. Then he asked me about the gym's yoga schedule. I have no idea what the schedule is. He then mentioned his low back problems. He's suffered from a bad low back for 20 years. So at that point I ethically had to talk to him about the exercise he was just performing. I explained the dangers of training for lumbar rotation and there are only 12 degrees of rotation available in the lumbar spine and nobody with a healthy back, nevermind an unhealthy back should be doing the exercise he was doing. His response was, "Well, that's what the physical therapist told me to do 20 years ago." 20 years ago! And he still has back pain!! I told his his physical therapist was just plain wrong and I can show him a better alternative. Instead of gratitude he started arguing with me. I was trying to help and he was pushing back. This reminds me of the saying, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink." I have to remind myself of that every so often.
  3. But then I learned my new favorite core exercise...so all is right with the world. Check it out here. I used a 10 lb plate on one side of a 45 lb barbell and struggled to perform 4 reps on each side. This a great and tough exercise. And, more importantly, it trains the core the way it was meant to be trained.
  4. I love barefoot training (as you likely know by now.) But I've been reluctant to run barefoot on a treadmill. Well, I sucked it up and gave it a shot on Monday. The goal was 5 reps of 15 seconds on, 15 seconds off at 9 MPH and a 12% incline. I tell ya, I'm sold. It really worked well. I was concerned about the running surface but it felt great on my feet and I had the extra bounce in my step yesterday due to the additional muscle activity in my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment