Monday, August 31, 2009

Mmmmm...Berries...

I was planning on writing a different post today but I received a tremendous tip this weekend that I want to pass along (more on that later.) One of the best foods everyone can add to their diet are berries (of all kind!) My own diet includes:
  • Blueberries - There is a scoring system for antioxidant power in foods called ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity.) The explanation for the test from "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth" is, "Scientists test how well all the different phytochemicals and antioxidants in a given food perform together, and then give the food a rating based on that performance." So what's the point? Blueberries are the highest scoring fruit on the planet! On top of that blueberries have been found to have the greatest cancer fighting properties of all fruits.
  • Raspberries - We all know fiber is good for you. Well, raspberries contain a ton of fiber! in one cup of raspberries you will get 8 grams of fiber. They also contain tons of important vitamins (calcium, vitamin C, vitamin K, etc...) Raspberries are perhaps the best source of Ellagic acid. Tests have shown ellagic acid kills cancer cells without destroying healthy cells. Oh, that brings me to my nifty tip. I love raspberries! They are one of my favorite foods. But a container lasts about 3 hours in my refrigerator (really a pretty good sign of the health benefits, but I want to get to them before other organisms.) So as I was checking out at Trader Joe's the woman bagging mentioned to cover raspberries with a paper towel. I tried that yesterday and they stayed fresh the whole day and are still not mush and moldy this afternnon! Jackpot! One other important note about raspberries, they are heavily contaminated with pesticides and other bad stuff. This is one food it is a very good idea to buy organic.
  • Strawberries - Also contain tons of ellagic acid. Strawberries also may help with short term memory, you know, if you want to remember stuff.
These are just a few that are a staple in my diet. All berries are great foods to add to your diet. They can be eaten fresh or frozen. Frozen berries taste great in my morning smoothie! I also make a snack that contains whole milk plain organic yogurt, peanuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed meal, raspberries, blueberries, and avocado. It's quite tasty. Add a scoop of whey and throw it into a blender and you have yourself a nice post-workout meal. That's it for today...Now I'm hungry.

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Your use of exclamation points crack me up... and only because I know exactly the way you are talking! It just so happens that my smoothie this morning consisted of Raspberries, blueberries and strawberries and some why protien. Go figure!!

    ReplyDelete