Friday, September 18, 2009

The Biggest Loser?

So I was clicking through the channels the other night and came across The Biggest Loser. I believe it was the season premier. I watched for a couple minutes. I've seen a couple minutes a few other times in previous seasons but just could not watch any further. I was just too disgusted (and insulted as a trainer) to see such horrible training practices and nutrition sold to the masses in a popular television program. So I figured I'd write about it, but was beaten to the punch. Here is a great post about the irresponsible entertainment that is being passed off as proper training for the overweight and obese portion of the population. I think he articulates the problems with this show much better than I could. One thing I would add though is how easy it can be for someone who is completely dedicated to lose a tremendous amount of weight and dramatically improve their body composition and overall well being in a safe and, just as importantly, sustainable manner. That is the goal. To lose weight safely and in a manner that promotes life long lifestyle changes. What disgusted me most when I saw this show previously was the weigh in at the end of the show. People would weigh in at 10+ pounds lighter than they did the previous week! That is much too much weight to lose in one week unless you weight 1,000 pounds. It is simply not sustainable to lose more than 1 - 2% of your body weight in the span of one week. Here's the thing, this person was berated for having such a horrible result! Are your kidding me?!?!

Anyway, this got me thinking of the power of the long term goal. If weight loss is your goal just think about where you want to be in one year. Even if you are obese and need to lose 50+ pounds you can achieve this over the course of one year. And it will be safe and you'll be able to sustain it for the rest of your life. All it takes is hard work and a complete commitment to achieving your goals (and a good trainer...um, like ME.) This can apply to any training goal including weight loss, improve strength, power, speed, endurance, mobility, etc.

My sis wrote a great post a while back about making a list of your goals. I would add to the list reasons why you want to achieve your goals. I think this serves as a tremendous motivator. Do you want to lose weight so you can play soccer or baseball with your child? Or do you have weight related health problems? Or do you want to start next season for your high school football team? This certainly is not limited to fitness. Do you want a better, more fulfilling job? Or a nicer house to raise your family? Or get better grades in school? For instance, last September 19 I was a financial analyst and Hated my job. Today I am a personal trainer/strength & conditioning coach working with athletes and the general population. I also operate a small side personal training business. The goals I wrote down last September have evolved as I learn more...but the general goal of a more fulfilling career has remained the same. As I re-read my list from last September today I think I did a pretty solid job. Now it's time to write a new list with new goals!

Everyone have a tremendous weekend!!

Mike

PS...I think writing a coherent blog post will be somewhere near the top of my new list.

No comments:

Post a Comment