Friday, September 25, 2009

New Television Commitment...

The following is an actual conversation I just had with a young girl (probably about 20 or so) at my gym:

Me: (after watching her perform tons of crunches and twists on the floor) "How often do you do you do your floor ab routine?"
Girl: "every day"
Me: "You're really going to hurt your back if you keep doing that stuff"
Girl: "I already have a herniated disk"
Me: "You're really exacerbating the problem with those exercises"
Girl: "I like doing them"
Me: "I can show you some better exercises if you have a few minutes"
Girl: "That's ok...Life is short"
Me: "Not that short"

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. Why do people use the "Life is short" excuse to abuse their body? Isn't it better to be healthy and enjoy life? Instead this girl who already has a herniated disk at 20 years old is going to experience physical pain for her life. It reminds me of a great Einstein quote, "Insanity is best defined as doing the same actions repeatedly and expecting a different outcome."

  • Anyway, here is a great post by a local coach. His little story about his fiances doctor refusing to perform a Vitamin D test just shows how far behind the medical field can be. And the video at the end is brilliant.
  • So I've gone this far in life with only one television commitment. I just never liked the idea of having to be home at a specific day/time to watch a television program (you know, pre DVR.) Then I started watching LOST. I was immediately quite smitten and entered into a 5+ year committed television relationship. Last night I was sitting down to eat dinner and a new show happened to come on the channel I happened to be watching. It's called FlashForward. Only a few minutes into the show and, "Hey, there's Penny!" Then I realized this show is really interesting and potentially bizarre (I like bizarre.) Everyone on the planet simultaneously blacks out for a little over two minutes. But it appears they didn't blackout, they actually all experienced a flash forward, going to April 20, 2010 (or it's Apr 10.) So this all looked very intriguing. Then when the episode was over then ran the scenes for the rest of the season and, "Hey There's Charlie!!!" I think I'm hooked. I feel like a cheater.

2 comments:

  1. mike they flashforward to april 29, 2010...i watched it too...love it...but it does seem a bit like LOST

    ReplyDelete