Monday, September 28, 2009

TRX Training...

Yesterday I spent the day in Winchester, MA at TRX training. The TRX allows for a tremendous workout using only your body weight and gravity. I had heard this was a great training workshop and it far exceeded my expectations. Just learning how to properly and easility set it up and put my feet in it made it worth the investment. I've been using it for about 6 months as a good way to perform rows but now I have a much better grasp of what can be performed using just a couple straps. The instructor made a good point at the start when he said, "the best thing about the TRX is you can do 1,000 things with it and the worst thing about the TRX is you can do 1,000 things with it." The day (9 - 5) was mostly hands on so I don't have tons of notes to share. Plus they wouldn't make a whole lot of sense without experimenting with the TRX first. What has me excited about the possibilities is the are now working with the creators of the Functional Movement Screen to use the TRX for corrective exercise. That was a great "AH HA" moment for me. My deep squat is dreadful. With my feet flat my arm end up parallel to the floor (not good.) However, the instructor completely fixed my deep squat using the TRX. I was able to get into a perfect squat position for the first time in quite a long time. I was sold on the TRX long before that but I never thought of it as a corrective exercise tool. Now I'm completely hooked. My goal is to use it exclusively for the next three weeks so I can really learn how to use it and understand the potential progressions. One of the other great things about the TRX is it's price. The thing only costs $150. Think about all the high priced equipment sitting in your basement that you don't use anymore. I think the TRX is the perfect piece of equipment for in-home training. If you are interested in buying one for your home you can order through this site by clicking on TRX under affiliates to the right. And if you do order through this site I will offer a free session to get you started (depending on your location I guess, the west coast or overseas might be tough, I'll give you an IOU in that case.) This will include how to set it up, how to easily use it, some of the possible progressions, and some corrective exercises. Just shoot me an email at mbelangerjr@gmail.com if you do order through this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment