Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My workout

Hello 4:30 am!! I thought it might be fun to share an example of what my own workout looks like. I do full body workouts 5 times per week. That way I never exhaust any body part or movement pattern. My area of focus in terms of corrective exercise is my thoracic spine. I include a circuit during my warm-up and another exercise during my strength portion to better mobilize my thoracic spine. Anyway, here was my workout on Sunday:

Warm-up:

Foam Roll
Stretch - quads, glutes, groin
Lunge series - x 3 times each
Thoracic spine circuit

Core:

Cable lift x 8 times each
Cable chop x 8 times each

(these are performed on a Keiser functional trainer. If you are looking for a gym this is the equipment you want to see.)

Plyos:

hurdle hops - 2 x 10
1 leg diagonal hurdle hop - 2 x 5 ea

Strength:

Squat Jumps - 3 sets x 5 reps
PVC overhead Squat - 3 sets x 8 reps
(this is a paired set. I perform one set of squat jumps, then without rest, perform a set of PVC overheard squats, then repeat with no rest)

Dips - 3 sets x 8 reps
Single leg Squat (my favorite!) - 3 sets x 6 reps
(another paired set)

Deadlifts - 3 sets x 5 reps
Inverted Row (using TRX suspension system) - 3 sets x 8 reps (best exercise for those working at a desk!)
(also a paired set)

This workout will take about 50 - 60 minutes. A good full body strength workout will include:
  1. A power exercise (Jump Squats in this example)
  2. Upper body pull (Inverted Row)
  3. Upper body push (Dips)
  4. Lower body pull (Deadlifts)
  5. Lower body push (single leg box Squats)
Add a good dynamic warm-up, some corrective exercises, and some plyos and that's really all you need. This is by no means a perfect workout but the general structure will work for anyone.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment